Sharing the list of favorite webcams across devices

Everything related to an operation of a specific webcam and to IP-cameras in general.
Admin
Site Admin

Sharing the list of favorite webcams across devices

Post by Admin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:47 am

I've got a question today from one of the devoted users of my site. This person has got a bit unusual solution to reuse the list of favorite webcams across multiple devices. I admire the creativity of this visitor and I realize that this might be a nuisance to others as well since I've changed some URLs.
- A bit of a background. At the moment the pointer to the favorites is stored in a cookie, and the cookie belongs to a particular browser on a particular device. Even though we live in a technical "cloud" world these days, I am far from that technology and will not be going that way in the near future.
- For a long time now I've been thinking about changing/improving the functionality of using the list of favorites. This issue became especially important since many of you lost their favorites collections during the major site update last summer. One of the obvious solutions would be to tie the favorites to a user id for authorized users. There are other ways as well. I will try and make it my priority in the area of this site development.
- Meanwhile there is a workaround for re-using the existing favs id in a bookmark. All you need to do is to replace main.php with webcams.php and keep the rest of parameters. However if you loose that hash key looking like Fhgf45hYT which gets the pointer from the favs cookie, this won't work.

I will think of alternatives and put them here in a short poll to get users input.
Meanwhile please bear with me for a short longer and thank you for your continuing interest in my site!

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharing the list of favorite webcams across devices

Post by Admin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:36 pm

A quick update on the state of this issue. Three months passed and I got nowhere closer to implementing a solution, even though there was some code drafted.
Too many things to do with the site and only one pair of hands.
One of my priorities at the moment is to implement a skeleton of a second major part of this site - a collection of technical data for IP webcams.
There are other urgent issues as well.
If anyone has some real knowledge in websites design and/or any other related areas and some free time, please drop me a line.