Why do webcams disappear?

Everything related to an operation of a specific webcam and to IP-cameras in general.
Admin
Site Admin

Why do webcams disappear?

Post by Admin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 am

Quite often I hear from some of you the same question "why this or that webcam" disappear and the request "to put the webcam back on".
This is yet another attempt to explain one thing which I thought was quite obvious.
I do NOT own any of the webcams collected on my site! Hence, I don't have any control over them, none whatsoever. And, as a result, I can't put them back on if they disappear for whatever reason.
The most obvious reasons for webcams to disappear are:
- their IP address changed;
- their owner decided to put a password on the webcam feed;
- some technical issues with the transmission.
In most cases I have no means of tracing the webcam if the IP address has been changed. Only by chance it might come back.
If it was password protected, it means no one in the world can watch it any longer. I don't have any connection to the owners and I do NOT hack webcams.
There are very few exceptions when I can "repair" the broken feed, or more precisely - update it. [But even then it's not guaranteed]
1) The webcam is open to the world on some public site;
2) The webcam is being transmitted via YouTube service.

If you report a broken webcam, I take it off the list. I am following the feed for a short time to see if it's coming back and if it's not, I am taking it off permanently.
Some webcams transmit only for parts of the day, so don't hurry and report them broken, check them out later first.

Having said all that. If the webcam is OFF, you can't find it in the webcams list and it can't be shown on your list of favorites, obviously.

Please reply to this topic with questions regarding this issue. I am open for discussion.

Meanwhile, enjoy watching, send me your suggestions, and leave comments if you wish under any webcam of interest.